Author Archives: katefbyrne

About katefbyrne

Researcher in the Language Technology Group at Edinburgh University.

Even more unlocked

Just a quick update on the¬†Unlock Text¬†interface I posted about last time… Eric noticed that the ‘gazref’ attribute doesn’t point back to the original source gazetteer – you needed a second interrogation of the server to get that info. That’s … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Unlocking Text

We haven’t posted in a while. Things have been happening… This is just a brief update on some recent work I’ve been doing with the geoparser. If I don’t make it brief it won’t happen at all. Way back in … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Geoparsing Google Books and Open Library texts

As promised a few posts back, I’m now going to bring the geoparsing report up to date with some notes about how we got on with processing large amounts of text, once we’d finished tweaking the Geoparser setup. Google kindly … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

How we tweaked the geoparsing

In my last post I promised some updates, so here’s a short report on the first two points: Improving the geotagging, so that we can find ancient place-name mentions more accurately in the input texts. Improving the georesolution, so we … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Finishing off the geoparsing end of GAP

We’ve now finished the geoparsing work – all the source texts have been put through the pipeline to identify place-names (geotagging) and provide spatial co-ordinates for them (georesolution). Geoparsing is the first step for GAP, providing the material for the … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Matching lexicons to gazetteers

I’ve been aware for a while that there was a mismatch between the resources used by the Geoparser for geotagging (finding toponyms in text) and georesolution (determining their lat/long position) – and I’ve now got around to dealing with that. … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Some progress on geo-resolution

A quick update on what I’ve been up to recently, and plans for the next couple of weeks: I’ve experimented with combining Pleiades+ with geonames (ie looking up toponyms in both) but, as expected, this floods the results with too … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments